Now is the time to prepare your car for future cold weather. Winter breakdowns can best be prevented through regular vehicle maintenance. Here are some areas that need extra attention for the fall and winter season:
- Blades- Avoid driving through a snowstorm with worn wipers by replacing your wiper blades ahead of time.
- Headlamps and Tail Lamps- Make sure your lights work so that you are as visible as possible to other drivers.
- Battery- Extreme heat of the summer months can reduce battery life, which then causes batteries to fail in the winter months. Watch for corrosion on cables and posts.
- Air Filters- They should be changed at least twice a year.
- Brakes- Check and replace these if needed to avoid slipping and sliding on icy roads.
- Oil and other fluids- Top off all fluids that have run low. Keep a gallon of windshield washer fluid in your trunk to ensure that you always have a clear view of the road, as this is used often in winter driving. Check and change the oil if needed.
- Belts and Hoses- You will be stranded if these snap or leak. Look for cracking or thinning in belts and check all hoses for imperfections as well.
- Shocks and Struts- These are the most overlooked parts on a car. These improve vehicle handling, extend tire life, and improve ride control and comfort for the driver.
- Tires- Tire pressure is affected by changing temperatures. Make sure that all four tires are filled to their recommended tire pressure and check for tire wear. This will play a huge role in how well your car handles the snow and ice.
Keep checking the Salerno Duane INFINITI blog for more information if you are near Denville, Clifton, Ramsey, or Summit, NJ.