Follow these tips to stay safe while traveling this winter season.
Plan your travel:
- Check traffic, road and weather conditions.
- Allow plenty of time to reach your destination safely.
- Familiarize yourself with directions before you leave. Let others know your anticipated arrival time.
Know your car:
- Familiarize yourself with a rental car before driving it off the lot.
- Clean snow, ice or dirt off your car before leaving.
- Practice driving your car in adverse weather conditions in an empty parking lot in full daylight.
- Apply the brake firmly. antilock brakes should have continuous pressure. Pump the pedal gently for non-antilock brakes.
- In a skid, stay off the gas and brakes until you regain control. Ease your foot off the gas and carefully steer in the direction you want the front of your vehicle to go.
Get your car a checkup:
- Get your vehicle checked thoroughly for leaks, worn hoses or any other item that may need repair.
- Get routine maintenance on your vehicle before a trip.
- Have your battery checked for reserve capacity, voltage and amperage. Have the belts and charging system inspected. Support the gas engine in a hybrid-electric vehicle by keeping fresh gasoline stocked.
- Make sure that there is enough coolant in your vehicle.
- Fill your windshield washer fluid reservoir and keep extra in your vehicle.
- Replace your worn blades. Make sure the wipers and defrosters work.
- Check the tire pressure.